Sunday 29 May 2011

The many women of LJK

Since being very young i have always written a diary, if i didn't i think i may have gone slightly mad, in a way its a catharsis and something i have done as a routine since i was able to write!
I was set a brief titled "my collection" on my current degree; Design and Visual Arts, when i was set the brief, i knew automatically that i could use my collection of diaries.
When looking through them i noticed i write a lot about girls, girls that were interesting to me at that period in my life, so i started to pick extracts that stood out to me, based on each girl. These girls then became chapters.
Henry VIII came to mind when researching for my project, as he had 6 wives, because of this i decided to narrow the chapters (girls) down to 6! I then titled my project- "The many women of Lauren Jo Kelly." I typed each extract onto brown wrapping paper and printed it out, which was slightly annoying as the printer decided it wanted to eat the brown paper now and then and caused a JAM!

The original idea for my project was to hang each extract onto the washing line outside, giving each chapter a sense of "hanging each chapter out to dry" but as you can see above, the pieces of paper were too light and the weather was too windy causing them to spin and no co-operate. So, in the end i had to set up a mini washing line in my room with fishing wire! Which in the end i feel looked better as the brown and the purple wall compliment each nicely.







On one of the chapters i had quite a few extracts and it caused the wire to drag down, including the bed in the image. Having the bed underneath worked well as it links to both sex and sleeping which you tend to do with your partners.
I really enjoyed this project out of all i have been set on my current degree, i felt it showed me through my work and is quite personal.

No comments:

Post a Comment